Among the 14 beamlines currently provided by the PETRA III facility at DESY in Hamburg, DESY operates one beamline dedicated to structural biology investigations.
The bio-imaging and diffraction beamline P11 offers two different endstations, one for macromolecular crystallography (MX) and one for X-ray imaging (XI).
The MX endstation at beamline P11 provides:
- A broad tunable energy range between 5 – 30 keV
- A tunable beamsize between 7 x 4 µm2 and 200 x 200 µm2 (FWHM, h x v)
- A high photon flux of 1.6 x 1013 ph/sec @ 12 keV on sample
- Pilatus 6M fast detector (25 Hz frame rate)
- A High Precision Goniometer with a sphere of confusion < 100 nm equipped with an on-axis viewing system
- 2D-grid scan for sample centering
- Sample changing robot with a large storage dewar capacity of 368 samples
- Capability of fast data collection (~ 90 sec. per 180 degree data set)
- A VORTEX EM detector for X-ray fluorescence measurements
In addition we offer the option of high-pressure-freezing of crystals for which no suitable cryo-protectants can be found.